Can Toothpaste and Peanut Butter Kill Your Dog?
Hmmm.... sticky situation
Photo by Greg Murray Photography
Can toothpaste kill your dog?
What about peanut butter?
Yes! If you choose the wrong brands.
What are the "wrong" brands?
The ones that contain the sweetener Xylitol, which is (apparently) safe for humans but deadly (even in small amounts!) to dogs.
In fact, it is MORE dangerous than chocolate!
First let’s talk about most dogs’ favorite: Peanut butter.
These popular products are safe! I checked the labels, AND called the manufacturers to double-check:
BUT… what about OTHER peanut butters and nut butter spreads and TOOTHPASTE???
You are brushing your dog’s teeth, right? Make sure you are using toothpaste specifically made for dogs, which won't contain Xylitol or Fluoride, which is also harmful to dogs. And as with all human products Fido might steal and eat, keep your toothpaste out of his reach.
I wrote previously about two dogs who almost died when a guest to their home left her purse unattended on the floor, and they got into it and ate gum sweetened with Xylitol.
Xylitol is also in some cosmetics, mints, mouthwashes and cough drops, among other products.
Peanut butters and nut-based spreads containing Xylitol include those made by Go Nuts, Hank’s Protein Plus Peanut Butter, Krush Nutrition, Nuts ‘N More and P28.
Preventive Vet’s website has a long list of other products containing Xylitol, including personal care products like shampoo and lip balm, cookies, ice cream and yogurt.
Click here to see Preventive Vet's list:
Click here to sign Preventive Vet's petitions pushing for informative product labeling:
Xylitol is so toxic that dogs can show symptoms (weakness, lethargy, loss of coordination, rapid breathing, vomiting and seizures) within 10 minutes of ingesting it.
Please check labels for this popular, but deadly ingredient!
Want my Doggie Tips delivered to your Inbox?
(Spam stinks. I will never share your address or send you junk. PROMISE!)